About the Author
Carrie M. White was born in Littleton, Iowa, April 21, 1860, and came with her parents to Seattle, Wash., in August of 1872. The following year, 1873, the family moved to Fidalgo Island where her father had bought a farm at the head of Fidalgo Bay. The family resided on this farm until 1885 when they left the farm because of their mother’s failing health and moved to their home on the west shore of Fidalgo Bay, at the foot of 29th St. in Anacortes.
Later, in 1891 a new home was built a little farther back from the bay and it was in this home that Carrie White lived the remainder of her life.
Miss White was far ahead of her time as far as women in public life were concerned. She was a graduate of the University of Washington while the state was still Washington Territory. She was very active in political and civic projects and served as an officer in the county WC.T.U. and president of the Fidalgo Island Union, later the Anacortes Union, for many years until ill health and the care of an invalid mother prevented active work. She died at Anacortes, Wash., September 30, 1904.
In 1898 Miss White read a paper that she had written, entitled “Fidalgo Island before the ‘Boom’,” to a meeting of the Historical Society of Anacortes. This paper became the most important historical account of the first settlers on Fidalgo Island. It is enriched with descriptions of her personal experiences.
The water fountain located on the east lawn of the Anacortes Museum was presented to the city of Anacortes in the 1890s in memory of Miss White. It was given in honor of her work with the WC.T.U. (Women’s Christian Temperance Union). This interesting water fountain includes drinking bowls located at three heights and of three sizes. The highest is for people, the largest is for horses, and the smallest and lowest is for dogs. Reportedly some people refused to drink from the fountain because Carrie White and the WC.T.U. were opposed to the drinking of alcoholic beverages.
(White, Carrie File, Anacortes Museum)