Memorials In Anacortes
On Memorial Day 2020, a visit to significant sites may not be possible or recommended for all. To enable virtual visits, the Anacortes Museum has created new webpages to present the history and list the people memorialized on well-known community monuments, like those at Altair-Americus, Causland and Seafarers’ memorial parks. The project is part of the museum’s mission to interpret and help maintain these important sites, and the people honored at them.
The creation of Memorials in Anacortes pages on the website was a response to the recent temporary removal of the "Lest We Forget" war memorial wall at Causland Park. Structural instability required that the bronze plaques be removed while the wall, built in 1988, was dismantled. The plaques are being safely stored at the museum while a new wall for them is being planned -- made of stone to match the Causland landscape. People can find the names online in the interim, and learn more about these men, with information supplied from the museum’s research files. The Anacortes Parks and Recreation Department will be coordinating the wall replacement project, and looking to rededicate on the centennial of Causland Park’s original dedication, which will be September 25, 2021.
Our new webpages will also provide a way for visitors from near or far to identify and locate the names of family or friends listed on these monuments. Eventually, with help from the community, museum staff intends to include short biographical descriptions and photographs to accompany the names.
The Memorials Represented Include:
Altair – Americus Memorial Park is dedicated to the crews of the fishing vessels Altair and Americus, lost at sea on February 14, 1983. The park is located on R Avenue near Ninth Street on the Anacortes waterfront. The memorial was dedicated on September 15, 1991.
Causland Memorial Park is located on a full block in downtown Anacortes. It’s unique stone masonry, designed by Jean Baptiste Lepage, were a part of its nomination to the National Register of Historic Places. The park was constructed as a tribute to Harry Leon Causland and the 13 other local men who lost their lives during WWI. The park was constructed between 1919 and 1921, and dedicated on September 25, 1921.
The Seafarers’ Memorial monument, placed in 1976 near the net sheds of Cap Sante Marina, was moved in 1999 to its current location in the park that bears its name. The plaque on the monument simply states its purpose: “The citizens of Anacortes erected this memorial in honor of those from this community who died at sea while in pursuit of their livelihood.” The memorial was originally dedicated on August 28, 1976 and rededicated on Memorial Day, May 31, 1999.
The Memorials in Anacortes webpages offer location, history and background on the people memorialized on these monuments. If you have more information to offer, please contact the Anacortes Museum at (360)-293-1915 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Watch Our New Documentary About Local Legend Bill Mitchell
Despite an auto-accident in his youth that left him paralyzed from the waist down, Bill Mitchell made it his life’s work to fill Anacortes, Washington with life-size murals of famous figures within the town. A true testament to perseverance, he refused to let his injury get in the way of his goals.
Filmmaker Corin Noronha spent time with Bill in late 2018 and early 2019; together they formed what is an intimate and joyful look at the artists’ legacy during the last stretch of his life. For the first time, get an inside look at the mural project through Bill’s own words. Learn about his inspirations, his struggles and his incredible 150+ mural project that has left an undying mark on our town. We hope you enjoy, "Bill Mitchell & the Anacortes Mural Project."
After watching, please check out our pages dedicated to Bill and the future of the mural project - now under Museum supervision!
Check out a new article on the Spanish Influenza outbreak of 1918, by Museum Curator Elaine Walker
“With schools and businesses closed, nurses exhausted and many people caring for sick loved ones at home, it feels to us like the COVID-19 pandemic is historically unprecedented. However, Anacortes citizens faced an almost identical situation 100 years ago when the Spanish Influenza swept the world.”
So begins an in-depth article, Spanish Influenza in Anacortes, by our Curator of Collections, Elaine Walker, who put her reporter’s hat back on to research and write about these stories from Anacortes history. She has also assembled the original stories, found in online Anacortes American’s, which can be read in the original historic pages or in this chronological compilation, Spanish Influenza articles AA 1918-1920. READ MORE…
Anacortes Museum Closure Effective March 17
Anacortes Museum will close effective Tuesday March 17, 2020 with staff access only. Museum staff will be available by phone and email during normal business hours. Many museum resources are available on our website.
Here is a list of Anacortes Museum activities you can do from home or anywhere:
- Our photo database has over 55,000 keyword searchable photographs, representing the artifacts in the Online Anacortes Museum Collection. You can browse random images or search for “salmon cannery” or “Anacortes veneer” and fine tune your results. Also, you can help us identify, add to and correct our photo descriptions by clicking the “send feedback” tab on website photographs.
- The new Anacortes Museum Channel on YouTube has local historic films and new museum features.
- Anacortes High School Rhododendron yearbooks are available to browse online.
Museum Youtube Content
The Anacortes Museum offers many ways to study and immerse yourself in the history of Fidalgo and Guemes islands. From our exhibit panels to our massive online database of old photographs, the museum prides itself on not only being a time machine for our town, but being one that is able to interpret history for a modern audience. We’ve gotten a little more modern with the launch of an official Anacortes Museum Youtube Channel.
Rare historical footage and films, from as early as the 1950s, have been released from our archives and are up for public viewing. Marvel at the legendary Anacortes Seahawks basketball teams, learn about the extensive waterfront history of Anacortes told by those directly involved, witness the breathtaking destruction of the “Little Chicago” fires of 1957, and more!
The museum has also begun producing exclusive original content for the channel. Whether it is a documentary exploring the early days of the Scott Paper Pulp Mill or an interview and performance with local musician John Van Deusen on our 1866 pump organ, there are more documentaries being produced in-house to look forward to.
Be sure to check our social media frequently for updates from the channel, or feel free to subscribe at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQgyDRhlQWHQ0f_Q4ukJJog.
Welcome to Organ Territory!
Recently we’ve started an exciting new project here at the Anacortes Museum. For years our antique 1866 Packard pump organ sat soundless in our exhibit. Its exquisite design fascinated visitors, but they were barred from its true purpose by a small piece of paper stating, “Please Do Not Touch.” Perhaps, we thought, it was time to take Anacortes’ oldest pump organ out on a spin.
Thus, Organ Territory was born and the organ finally has the chance to sing again! In collaboration with local musicians, we are releasing intimate monthly organ recordings from inside the Carnegie Gallery. After performing, the musicians sit down with us for an interview with conversations exploring the history and community of Anacortes, and learn how these talented artists have sprung up from the fertile musical soil in Anacortes.
Our first recording was with indie rock/power pop/punk star John Van Deusen. Topics of discussion ranged from fatherhood to his love for city planning. The second episode featured alternative/folk artist Pearl Tottenham who spoke about what it was like to grow up in the Anacortes music scene. Both of these episodes feature the musicians playing unreleased music on our antique organ. You can find our first two episodes and all future episodes on the Anacortes Museum Youtube channel.
Located in the historic Carnegie Library Building.
Tuesday through Saturday
10 AM- 4 PM
1 PM- 4 PM
1305 8th Street, Anacortes WA 98221