Anacortes Municipal Code Updates
The City of Anacortes is currently in the process of updating multiple provisions in the Anacortes Municipal Code (AMC). The purpose of the updates include compliance with state law, to implement the 2016 Comprehensive Plan, and to transition to a Unified Development Code format. You can view more information about each update topic below.
Currently in Process
- Zoning, Development Regulations & Design Standards
- Updates are proposed to zoning, development regulations and design standards, including: permitted uses; form and intensity standards; bonus incentives; supplemental use criteria; public street improvements, land division design; block frontage standards; site planning; building design; off-street parking; landscaping; fences and walls; signs and more.
- Critical Areas
- Regulations protecting wetlands, fish & wildlife habitat conservation areas, geologically hazardous areas, frequently flooded areas and critical aquifer recharge areas will be reviewed and updated to meet periodic review requirements under the Growth Management Act, including use of Best Available Science.
- AMC Ch. 18.04 State Environmental Policy Act. Proposed amendments to identify within the R1 zone certain categorical exemptions that do not apply in critical areas (lands covered by water) and buffers.
- Wireless Code Updates. Ord. 3038 and Ord. 3039, adopted February 25, 2019, update the code to address new small cell technology, address wireless appurtenances in ROW and comply with federal and state law. These ordinances are codified as AMC Ch. 19.68 Wireless Service Faiclities and Ch. 5.38 Public Utility and Telecommunications Right-of-Way Use.
- Affordable Housing Demonstration Program (Amendments adopted February 5, 2018 - Ord. 3017). Regulations to allow flexibility in certain development regulations in exchange for provision of affordable rental housing units in a portion of the R4A zone.
- Land Use Permit Procedures (PDF) (Amendments adopted December 19, 2016)
On December 19, 2016, the City Council adopted Ordinance 2992 (PDF), which directs amendments to the Anacortes Municipal Code to provide clear, streamlined, one-stop provisions to allow the public, staff and decision-makers to easily identify procedural and substantive requirements for any land use permit application.
- Stormwater; Clearing & Grading (PDF) (Amendments adopted November 28, 2016)
Updates to the City's stormwater regulations were approved by the City Council on November 28, 2016. The new regulations become effective January 1, 2017 and will apply to all development, re-development projects and land disturbing activities. The regulations are needed in order to comply with Department of Ecology requirements that Low Impact Development (LID) practices be the preferred and commonly used approach for stormwater management in all new and re-development projects.
Ordinance 2991 (PDF)
- Medical Marijuana Cooperatives (PDF) (Amendments adopted November 21, 2016)
On November 21, 2016, the City Council approved amendments to the Anacortes Municipal Code to prohibit Medical Marijuana Cooperatives in the City of Anacortes.
Ordinance 2989 (PDF)
- Code Enforcement & Penalties (PDF) (Amendments adopted December 21, 2016)
Ordinance 2988 (PDF) amending AMC Title 2, Title 9 and Title 18, and creating a new Title 20 to provide for a fair and efficient system of civil code enforcement was adopted by City Council on December 21, 2016.