Shoreline Master Program (SMP) Periodic Update
The City of Anacortes and Washington State Department of Ecology (Ecology) are seeking comments on the City’s Shoreline Master Program (SMP) periodic review and proposed SMP amendments. The joint local/state public comment period will run from November 18, 2020 through December 18, 2020 at 5 p.m.
Authority for the periodic review is based on Washington’s Shoreline Management Act (Ch. 90.58 RCW) and related rules. These amendments were developed by the City to comply with WAC 173-26- 090, which requires all local governments to review their SMPs on an eight-year schedule set in state law, and revise it if necessary. The review ensures the SMP keeps up with changes in state law, changes in other City plans and regulations, and other changed circumstances. The City has elected to use the optional joint review process to combine the local and Ecology comment periods, as allowed under WAC 173-26-104. No additional comment period will occur during the state review process. Comments provided to the City will be reviewed by both the City and Ecology. There is no need to send comments directly to Ecology.
Documents Available for Public Review & Comment
The written public comment period is from November 18, 2020 to December 18, 2020 at 5:00 PM. Email comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The following documents are available for review and comment:
- Proposed text amendments
- Proposed shoreline environment designation (SED) amendments
- Gap analysis / Periodic Review Checklist
- SEPA DNS and Checklist
- Joint Ecology/City Public Comment Period: November 18, 2020 - December 18, 2020
- Joint Ecology/City Public Hearing: December 9, 2020 at 6:00 PM
- Submittal to Ecology for initial determination
- Winter 2021: Planning Commission review and recommendation
- Spring 2021: Local adoption of the SMP
Other Project Documents and Information
- Notice of Public Comment Period & Public Hearing
- October 14, 2020 Planning Commission Meeting Packet with presentation slides / Meeting Video
- August 26, 2020 Planning Commission Meeting Packet with presentation slides / Meeting Video
- July 22, 2020 Planning Commission Meeting Packet / Presentation Slides / Meeting Video
- Open House #2 Video Presentation
- Gap Analysis
- Summary of Draft Proposed Amendments
- Complete Text of Draft Proposed Amendments
- Open House #1 (10/31/19) documents
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Public Participation Plan
The City of Anacortes and Washington State Department of Ecology (Ecology) are seeking comments on the City’s Shoreline Master Program (SMP) periodic review and proposed SMP amendments. Read on...