Each week join a local community member as we highlight some of the amazing talent and skill we have right here in our community. Tune in together at 7pm Wednesday nights or watch later on Facebook or on our website. (For the duration of our closure). Click the links below to watch the archived videos.
- 6/24/20 - "Join us for some fly fishing fun! Local fly fisherman Frank Barcott takes us on a tour of Heart Lake. Cast off and learn what lurks in the depths of our local waters!"
- 6/17/20 - "Join us for a rockhounding adventure! Trish & Morgan share their out-of-library adventure into the wilderness to visit a local Quartz crystal mining site. Learn how to safely and successfully find your own Quartz crystal points!"
- 6/10/20 - "Joins us for a virtual program featuring local business owner and guitarist Aaron Howell. Aaron will be sharing a look into his guitar workshop and his process as he builds custom archtop and electric guitars."
- 6/3/20 - "We have a special scuba treat for you as Fred and Darcy from the City of Anacortes Public Works and Legal Department share their underwater adventures!"
- 5/27/20 - "Join us for a program with local artist Terry MacDonald! Terry will share her recommendations for supplies and beginner tips on getting started with acrylic painting."
- 5/20/20 - "Meet Nick & Evie, owners of The Business, Anacortes’ local record store since 1978. Find out how they support local industry, distribute independent artists, curate collections, and more."
- 5/13/20 - "Nich Wilbur is the sound engineer at the Anacortes Unknown Recording Studio, located inside an old church. Wilbur blends old and new technologies while recording music for bands from all over the world. Nich will take us inside the process of recording, with special musical guest stars! "
- 5/6/20 - "Anacortes Parks and Recreation Director Jonn Lunsford will teach us all about beekeeping in Anacortes! Jonn will be showing us his bee houses and include information on local non-stinging bees and which honeybees are the friendliest."
- 4/29/20 - "New to the library is a video from Skagit Valley artist Shelley Muzylowski Allen, world renowned glass artist and teacher sharing a peek into her studio process. Also, from scientist and frequent library presenter Marcello Coradini, learn why you should look to the sky in May for exciting comet activity"
- 4/22/20 - "Local Anacortes Community Theatre actor Morgan White (and rockstar library assistant) will demonstrate how to prepare for a theatre audition."
- 4/15/20 - "Sommer Carter is a potter, gardener, songwriter/singer, founding member of the Anacortes Music Project, and advocate of community culture and creativity".
- 7/9/20 - "Join Librarian Diana Farnsworth to find out about some of the newest and most exciting books in the Young Adult department, coming next week. Featuring books of all genres, all by black authors, this week’s digital dive is neither digital nor white, and it’s full of great reads!"
- 6/25/20 - "Have you ever wanted to be a historian, helping to discover and preserve documents for future generations? Thanks to the Boston Public Library’s Anti-Slavery Manuscript collection, you can fulfill your wish and help make anti-slavery documents searchable for historians, students, teachers and authors to use."
- 6/11/20 - "Dive into the library’s digital resources to find out where to find sold out titles about racism in America, including books for teens, children, and more with our librarian Diana Farnsworth."
- 6/4/20 - "Looking for a fun new project? Inspired to use your extra time at home to get creative or finally jump on that home improvement project? Library assistant and crafty hobbyist Trish will show you all the digital resources available to help you get started now!"
- 5/28/20 - "This week our Digital Dive In will feature the many enchanting digital resources Anacortes Public Library offers you, our patrons, in the Fantasy genre! "
- 5/21/20 - "Librarian Leslie Wilson will show you how easy it is to get started with Libby & Hoopla. Before you know it you’ll be able to access e-books, audiobooks, videos and more with your APL library card."
- 5/14/20 - "Do you and your kids want to learn some amazing fun facts? Children’s Libarian Leslie Wilson leads this digital dive into children’s biographies and how easy it is to learn about the invention of the super soaker, LEGOs, and more! "
- 5/7/20 - "Celebrate Star Wars Day all week long with Star Wars ebooks, audiobooks, movies and more! Library Assistant and Star Wars enthusiast Morgan is here to give us a rundown of the awesome Star Wars online resources you can access with your library card. "
- 4/30/20 - "This week librarian Diana Farnsworth shares her favorite classic novel, Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein, including where you can watch a National Theatre production from London, graphic novel adaptations, and more. Just don’t mistake the creature for the doctor..."
- 4/23/20 - "Join Librarian Diana Farnsworth for Shakespeare’s 456th birthday. Find out why she’s got more than 123 books about the Bard, a few reasons why we still celebrate Shakespeare, and how to enjoy Shakespeare at home with your library card and other online resources. Get book recommendations, random personal anecdotes, tips on streamed performances and even a Shakespeare inspired cocktail recipe."
- 4/28/20 - "Did you know that shallow boats in Fidalgo Bay could travel at high tide across what is now the Swinomish golf course into Similk Bay to the south? That’s just one interesting nugget from Betty Carteret’s Trail Tale lecture on how the development of Anacortes has changed the face of Fidalgo Bay."
- 4/21/20 - "Local super-volunteer, Pete Haase, will take us on a nostalgic journey to revisit April 22, 1970 when the first Earth Day event happened. This event changed the trajectory of environmental history and spawned important environmental legislation such as the Clean Air Act and the formation of the Environmental Protection Agency."
Enjoy these recorded interviews from our NASA @ My Library series from the last few years.
October 30, 2019 - Captain Heidemarie Stefanyshyn-Piper
In this interview astronaut Heidemarie Stefanyshyn-Piper discuses her career, how libraries impacted her life, and the time she spent working and living on the ISS.
September 27th, 2018 - Dr. Richard Savage
Listen to Dr. Richard Savage’s presentation on the Laser Interferometer Gravitational Wave Observatory (LIGO) in Hanford, Washington where gravitational waves from the cosmos were observed for the first time in 2015. Click here for a PDF of the slide show. Please understand that this recording contains ambient noise from the crowd.
The first recording is the presentation and the second is the question and answer session that followed.
October 12th, 2017 - Astronaut Wendy Lawrence
Listen to an interview with astronaut Captain Wendy Lawrence as she discusses what it is like to be an astronaut and her life experiences that shaped her career. The audio contains ambient noise and is divided into two parts. Please enjoy below.