Anacortes Library Foundation
The mission of the Anacortes Public Library Foundation (APLF) is to promote and enhance the library’s value to the community through advocacy, program and capital project funding. We endeavor to augment, not replace, tax-based support for our library by securing donations, funding and endowments beyond the scope of the library’s operating budget.
The Foundation, a 501 (c) (3) nonprofit corporation founded in 1998, secures, manages and distributes donations for supporting both short-term and long-term needs of the Library.
Frequently Asked Questions
How does the Foundation fulfill its Mission?
The Foundation provides funds to the Anacortes Public Library in these essential areas including:
- Literacy and Lifelong Learning including programming for children, teens and adults, and additional projects and services for all ages.
- Library collections of print, electronic and audio visual materials
- Infrastructure projects including technology and building enhancements. Continued growth of the Library through resources including grant writing and development.
I already pay Library taxes. Why should I donate money, too?
Local taxes support the cost of budgeted and routine costs of operating the Library. For Anacortes, our Library has become a multi-generational community center of learning offering additional programs and services that are not covered by the city budget. The funds that support these enrichment programs are provided in part by generous donations which allow the Anacortes Public Library to maintain its performance of excellence. The Library is an accessible place where everyone can pursue the joy of learning.
How can I donate to the Library through the Foundation?
There are several ways you can make a donation to the Library Foundation:
- Cashdonations [including checks, credit card, and Paypal]
- Make a Legacy Pledge
- Inscribe a Tile in the Library Donor Wall
- Buy an Engraved Brick
- Make a Charitable Bequest
There are brochures at the Library providing details on each kind of donation.
What kind of charitable bequests can I give the Library?
Charitable bequests are generally given to the library through wills or estate plans. Donors may choose to give a bequest to the Library, through the Foundation, in a number of ways including:
- Stocks or bonds
- Real Property
- Life insurance policies
- Bequests in Wills
- Matching Gifts from Corporations
- Charitable Trusts and Estate Arrangements
Your donation is tax deductible & provides funds for Library materials & projects. The Anacortes Library Foundation is a 501c(3) organization, tax ID#91-1933694. Please contact the Library Director at 360-293-1926 for information on including the Library Foundation as part of your planned giving.
What are some of the major initiatives that the Foundation has helped fund for the Library?
The Foundation was formed in 1998 to raise large sums of private donations to help build our new Library. It accomplished its initial mission and has since broadened its mission. It has undertaken collaborative projects in partnership with the City, service organizations, and individuals. Some of the major projects include:
- Purchase and maintenance of eBooks and online resources.
- Purchase of meeting room sound system
- Upgrade library computer and security system
- Funds for mobile computer laptop lab
- Upgrade building infrastructure projects including lighting, faucets, cabinetry, and others.
- Funds for Library Art collection
- Purchase software, movie license
How does the Foundation manage the donations received?
In addition to raising funds, the Foundation is a steward of large bequests such as the Manieri Bequest for jazz and swing music, the Maritime Bequest and the Jeane Thompson Gardening Bequest. There is a standing Investment Management Committee within the Foundation Board that provides investment guidelines.
How is the Foundation different from Friends of the Library?
The Foundation and Friends of the Library are both important and critical organizations that help ensure the Library’s long term success. The Friends generate most of their funding from the operation of the Friends book store at the Library. They also receive bequests and donations. Their funding is focused on books and periodicals for the Library, and supporting the children’s program.
Want to know more? Contact us at email@example.com