The Anacortes Public Library Board of Trustees are citizens who have a desire to serve the library and the community; time to devote to board responsibilities; and willingness to serve as advocates for library development. Trustees are appointed by the Mayor, confirmed by the City Council, and serve a five year term. The Board meets monthly, with appropriate study and work sessions between meetings, as required. Regular monthly meetings are held on third Tuesdays at 2:30PM, and are open to the public.
Library Board of Trustees Responsibilities
- Listens to the community needs and concern
- Supports the library’s public relations program
- Knows local and state laws regarding public libraries and keeps abreast of library trends and standards
- Knows and abides by library board bylaws
- Represents the library’s point of view at city council meetings and other public forums
- Discusses and adopts library policies With the library director, reviews the annual library budget
- Attends all regularly scheduled Board meetings and other special meetings as needed
- Attends library functions as appropriate
- Works with library director on community assessment & long range plans
- Affiliates with state and national library organizations.
Currently serving on the Library Board: (from left) Dave Duck, President; Judy Weathers, Nick Alphin, Diane Munce, Secretary; and Jim English, Vice President. Sheri Miklaski, Library Director (not pictured), is an ex-officio member of the Board and therefore has no vote on Board issues.